dolodobendan wrote:
> The problem with your solution is that this creates entries that don't
> represent the work. For example, I'd click on "Il barbiere di Siviglia"
> and get a hundred result, most of them* are that Figaro's aria. (* If'd
> tag a whole opera "opera" and an extracted aria "aria", then I'd get
> different results depending on the menu path: COMPOSER - WORK -
> RECORDING will show these extracts, while GENRE - COMPOSER - WORK -
> RECORDING will not. That's bad, too, we want consistent results.) In
> other words, I don't recommend this approach for larger (or any, really)
> libraries.
I'm afraid I simply don't understand. Sorry.  For me, an Aria is part of
a WORK - it's a MOVEMENT, and the GENRE is for the WORK as a whole (I
can imagine wanting a sub-sub-genre of ARIA, but I've never done that).
My library isn't trivial (nearly 32,000 tracks).

> Yes. But it's always more than just some variant of ARTIST. It's always
> ARTIST + YEAR. Or even venue. That's why I prefer RECORDING. It can
> distinguish without being bend beyond the scope of it's name. WORK
> ARTIST cannot be Karajan 1960 (technically it can, of course. But it
> shouldn't.) RECORDING can. And it's called recording anyway, so why
> invent another name. We are different.  WORKARTIST is ALBUMARTIST, applied to
> a WORK - it
can't have a YEAR in it.  Any MOVEMENT also has ARTISTs (TRACKARTIST).
The YEAR tag gives me the recording year.

> But of course, in the end, it doesn't really matter how it's named as
> it's not visible anyway.
My WORKARTISTs are visible and selectable.

> That's the situation now with Multi Library, Custom Browse, and Custom
> Scan. If you don't have this problem I envy you :D . Maybe it's my
> setup... The only time I lose the Multi-Library ids are if I delete the whole
> of
LMS cache, including all databases, and start again.  Doing a normal
'clear library and rescan' is OK.

> I see why you would want to limit it to just WORK. But no, sorry.
> There's no standard that defines a work. Take Lieder (Songs) for
> example. There may be up to 40 works on a disc. Not extracts, but works.
> Please ask if I was being unclear. I know I can be. But both tags are
> needed.
I agree that where it gets trickier is with some series of related
pieces.  4 Last Songs (Strauss), or 24 preludes and fugues.  4 WORKs
(each of 1 MOVEMENT), or one WORK with 4 MOVEMENTs, and so on. That's
just a matter of personal preference to me, not a problem.  I don't have
the concept of 'extracts' that you seem to have.

> Ah, yes, Multi Library. But if I wipe the cache each time I do a rescan
> and add (=rename) the libraries' xmls one by one, it works great.  I don't
> wipe all of cache, and don't have any issues - I just clear
library and rescan'.

I suspect all other Classical fans have their own ways of viewing this,
as Erland suggests in another post, and that getting any form of
agreement would be very hard, not least because change tagging on many
thousands of tracks could be hard, and prone to error.

LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps.  2
Touches & EDO.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz
CR603 UPnP renderers.
Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with
Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.