Oh well, a few more faltering steps. Having set up the saved search as a
Library View, it wasn't clear what to do with it.

I added Library Views to the menus on my SB3, and... er, then what? Made
that the current view, fiddled around a bit more, and discovered that
this was now what would play from Random Mix. And it works really well!

So, this now does what I set out to do. Fantastic!

And this is what I find so brilliant and so infuriating about
Squeezeboxes and LMS.

Brilliant, because it can do things I never knew it could. The system is
constantly surprising in its abilities. And, cliche though it may be,
those surprises are made clearer and indeed obtainable by the clever
people lurking around this forum.

Infuriating, because I wish there was some more direct way to find out
about this stuff. Yes, the forum helps enormously. But it's often a deep
dig to find the stuff you want. If only there was a comprehensive
written guide. But I know that will never happen. Who would write such a
thing?

Oh well, that was rather a longer answer than I'd intended. Thanks so
much, as usual, to everyone who helped. Now I'm off to listen to my
3,500-or-so Spotify tracks now playing in wonderful randomness.