As far as I can see, when playing an audio file the cover art shown
defaults to the one that is embedded in the audio file. When browsing
albums in the default GUI - I suppose Material may follow a different
scheme - it favours a separate image file in the folder with a
preference for `folder.jpg` or `cover.jpg`. In past time I found the
mechanism to be somewhat unpredictable, probably because at the time I
did not obey this name preference, and as I never browse additional art
(i.e. booklets) from the LMS GUI but do like to include them on the disk
I have since always archived them in either .pdf or .cbr format which
the scanner does not handle.