On Thu, Mar 08, 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I occurs to me that any kind of KB needs real-life problems and solution,
must be user-driven, and have some form of unique problem identification.

It seems to me that we already have a form of this in the squid-users
mailing list. But that one is very cluttered with non-problem messages and
with failed solution attempts. So it needs a bit of cleaning.

What I am thinking of in a rough way is a KB which uses the squid-users
msg-IDs as the unique ID for a problem (after all the original problem has
been posted right?), and may in fact use the message itself from the
archive to describe the problem. Where a solution has been found,
references to the msg describin the solution could be used.
(By 'references' I mean either a web link by msg-ID or a PHP include to
show the archive content, descision to be made by the KB designer).

Msg can continue to be posted to squid-users as normal, but the KB
sumbission 'authorization' being to link the posts to the KB. Rather than
ading an extra submission on part of the users, which is not that likely
to get used anyway.

That would leverage an enourmous pile existing problem-solutions and
provide a framework for seamless and easy future additions. <dream>Might
even drop the clutter of repeated problem requests</dream>.

Thats not a bad idea - linking mailing list discussions back into KB articles -
but the KB article does need to be a good summary of everything.

Just needs a couple of warm bodies to watch the mailing list, jump on "problem
situations" which crop up and could do with some documentation, and writing
said KB article. I've made a start but we all know what my time availability
is like..

adrian