ok let me get this straight

send a hup signal to squid
and restart with
./squid ulimit -HSn 2048

(doesn't look right to me)

./squid -h
doesn't show much in line with what you are saying. Do i need to recompile squid maybe?

--jeff

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 11:16 AM, MASOOD AHMAD wrote:

It seems that you OS have support up to 12288 file
des.
but you have not started squid with more than 1024
file des.. so you will have to kill the squid process
and then you will restart it with command like that.

ulimit -HSn 2048 or more than that.

and than start squid

Best Regards,
Masood Ahmad Shah
System Administrator
Fibre Net
Cell #   923004277367

--- Jeff Donovan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Silly me , i found a part in the  FAQ-11.4
FreeBSD

by Torsten Sturm
How do I check my maximum filedescriptors?

Do sysctl -a and look for the value of
kern.maxfilesperproc .
How do I increase them?
sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=XXXX
         sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=XXXX
Warning : You probably want maxfiles >
maxfilesperproc if you're going
to be pushing the limit.
What is the upper limit?

I don't think there is a formal upper limit inside
the kernel. All the
data structures are dynamically allocated.  In
practice there might be
unintended metaphenomena (kernel spending too much
time searching
tables, for example).

####Here is my kernel output: i would assume i could
increase the
maxproc and the maxfiles.

[squidx:~] root# sysctl -a | more
kern.ostype = Darwin
kern.osrelease = 6.4
kern.osrevision = 199506
kern.version = Darwin Kernel Version 6.4:
Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003;
root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

kern.maxvnodes = 33584 kern.maxproc = 2048 kern.maxfiles = 12288

####any suggestions on how much to increase this by?

kern.argmax = 65536
kern.securelevel = 1
kern.hostname = squidx
kern.hostid = 3223847169
kern.clockrate: hz = 100, tick = 10000, profhz =
100, stathz = 100
kern.posix1version = 198808
kern.ngroups = 16
kern.job_control = 1
kern.saved_ids = 0
kern.boottime = Sat Mar 22 19:52:28 2003

{snip}--not relative

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 10:19 AM, Marc Elsen