On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, adrian.wells wrote:

> Is it possible to restrict the number of instances of browser that is
> serviced from a known ARP ( we authenticate against MAC address) ?

There is no direct relation between how many windows the user have open
and how many connections his browser have to the proxy.

If you disable the use of client-side persistent connections then there is
a relatively close match in how many concurrent objects a users browser is
downloading and the number of connections there is to the proxy, but there
still is no relation to the number of windows. It may simply be a single
page with a lot of inlined objects, large framesets or whatever.

> The idea is to prevent (restrict) users keeping open several instances of
> say IE and preloading several windows while reading another, since this is
> taking bandwidth.

See delay pools. Very effective if your concern is bandwidth usage.

Regards
Henrik