A couple of things since my initial post. I verified the machine do indeed have DNS
access (I can ping hosts), so that shouldn't be a problem. I had to use "iptables -t
nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT squidbox:3128" to get Squid working, not
sure why. Now however, everything is denied with TCP_MISS 504/503 errors - is this an
ACL problem or iptables.

My other question - why the POSTROUTING - I already have the PREROUTING. And why isn't
REDIRECT working, it's my understanding that DNAT is REDIRECT, but you have to
specific a host...

Thanks
mt

-----Original Message from usman fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>-----

keep 3 things in mind

1.the clients gateway must be that ip on which squid is listening on.( your
bridge ip)
2.the clients must have access to a dns server which can can resolve any
query.(which is not needed in manual proxy)
3.ip forwarding is enabled  and those 4 httpd_acceel options in squid.conf.

u need only 1 command
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -s xxxxxx   -j REDIRECT
--to-port xxxx

now verify through " iptables -t nat -vnL"  and "access.log" if any packets
are redirected.