On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:

> Background:
>
>  (1)  Companies A, B, and C are working on a joint project.
>  (2)  Company A is the lead for the joint project and is responsible
>       for maintaining a web-accessible database of information about
>       the project that is accessible to all team members.
>  (3)  Private, dedicated links have been established between A, B,
>       and C to allow access to the database.
>  (4)  The web server for the database is only accessible through the
>       private network connection and is not visible to the Internet.
>  (5)  Company B installs a Squid proxy server to provide restricted
>       access to the web server at company A.
>  (6)  All HTTP requests for PROJECT.A.COM need to be forwarded to
>       this Squid proxy server while all other HTTP requests for A.COM
>       are forwarded to the default proxy server that provides Internet
>       access.
>
> Using 2.4-STABLE7, this appeared to work when using cache_peer_domain.
> Under 2.5-STABLE6, the requests are always being routed to the default
> parent cache that provides access to the Internet.
>
> Which debug sections need to be enabled in the debug options to determine
> why the "right" proxy server is not being selected?

The solution to this problem was to set the "right" debug_option values.
After 'grep'ing the source code, I found that I needed 44,5 set to debug
the peer selection process.

With the right section and level specified, the problem was quickly
identified as a forward reference to an ACL.  Hate when that happens!

There still seems to be an error in the peer selection algorithm.  I had
initially defined the peer as a sibling.

 cache_peer proxy.b.com sibling 8080 3130 allow-miss no-digest no-query

Then, I redefined it using neighbor_type_domain.

 neigbor_type_domain proxy.b.com parent .project.a.com

I had expected this to force selection of the proxy.b.com as the peer.
The default parent continued to be selected over the peer that was
explicitly defined as a parent for the specified destination domain.

I had to add a cache_peer_access to explicitly deny the use of the default
proxy as a peer.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:                          vcard