Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
It it, I see a bunch of defines starting with "CPPUNIT_" that are "broken". They have the embedded control characters (^A and ^B) as though they were
place holders for values some script should have filled in:

Odd..

Maybe my configure options are sufficiently "weird" so as to cause
problems...

Unlikely.

What OS are you using?
---
Based off SuSE9.3 with some updates; linux kernel 2.6.15.5 on pentium3;
gcc=3.3.5 (20050117); glibc=2.3.4-23.4

Any odd locale settings?
all POSIX, 'cept LANG=LC_ALL=""

configure:
./configure --prefix=/usr \
        --sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
        --bindir=/usr/sbin \
        --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
        --localstatedir=/var \
        --libexecdir=/usr/sbin \
        --datadir=/usr/share/squid \
        --libdir=/usr/lib \
        --with-dl \
        --sharedstatedir=/var/squid \
        --enable-auth="basic" \
        --enable-basic-auth-helpers="NCSA,getpwnam" \
        --enable-storeio=aufs,coss,diskd,null,ufs \
        --enable-disk-io=AIO,Blocking,DiskDaemon,DiskThreads \
        --enable-removal-policies=heap,lru \
        --enable-delay-pools \
        --enable-useragent-log \
        --enable-referer-log \
        --enable-kill-parent-hack \
        --enable-arp-acl \
        --enable-ssl \
        --enable-poll \
        --enable-linux-netfilter \
        --enable-large-files \
        --enable-underscores \
        --enable-ntlm-fail-open \
        --enable-x-accelerator-vary \
        --disable-wccp \
        --disable-ident-lookups \
        --enable-default-err-language=English \
        --enable-err-languages=English

Anything else known odd/different about your OS install?
===
        Heh.  Nothing from _my_ perspective, but I could have
purple toes and think that was perfectly normal where I came from...

Linda