I run smartfilter plugin for squid.  I define catagorys that I want blocked to
the internet.  I found that I am unable to block any website that has https://
appended to the front end (443).  As a result, a lot of the student body has
figured out how to bypass the filter.  (smart kids).  My question is do I need
these acl's?  They are:
acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 443 563     # https, snews
Then I have:
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports

Looks like this is a standard squid.conf file.  I am thinking that as a result
of the above acls websites with https:// dont go through my cache, therefore
are not subject to the filtering rules I have setup in smartfilter.   Can I
safely remove these acls and not hurt squid performance.  I am running squid
2.5 stable 6 on redhat 8 with diskd.

thanks

ddh

--