Hi,

At 13.09 14/09/2007, Paul Cocker wrote:
I'm setting up SquidNT 2.6STABLE14 using a fresh config on a Windows
2003 server. I've located it in the folder D:\Program Files\squid,
mainly because there are several other programs installed on the server
and it keep the folder list clean, they're all within this directory.

However, when I try to start the service I get the following:

FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 1072: cache_dir ufs "D:/Program
Files/squid/var/cache" 2000 16 256

Now, I assume this is due to spaces in the directory path which I
thought the quotes would resolve. It occurred to me that perhaps the
options needed to be contained within the path, so I moved the closing
quote after the 256, though the error remained unchanged (barring
placement of the quote mark), but then this wouldn't work anyway unless
squid could read my mind regarding the chance of numbers being in a
directory name, or didn't accept them there at all.

I also considered the possibility that cachemgr.conf was to blame,
seeing as it simply had localhost in there, and I am using port 3129 for
this build of squid as an older, 2.5 version is running on 3128, though
so long as squid responds, regardless of version, it shouldn't matter
anyway should it? I tried changing localhost to localhost:3129 just in
case, but it made no difference.

Can this be made to work in a configuration where there are spaces in
the directory names?

Looking into Windows support section of Release Notes http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/RELEASENOTES.html#s6, about the Compatibility Notes, you can read:
"Paths with spaces (like 'C:\Programs Files\Squid) are NOT supported by Squid"
So the answer to your question is no.

In Theory this could work using Windows short path names, but this not a reliable solution because short path names generation is volume dependent.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1           10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135  Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/