Nick Lehman wrote:
Aaarrgh! I've been working on getting a squid box up and running
(2.6_STABLE19) and using squidguard as a redirect program.  I haven't
even been able to t-shoot squidguard yet as I can't even get Squid to
start.  It fails to start no matter what.  My config is a pretty
simple one.  Default ACLs and default listen port.  When I try to
start, it first told me that I needed a visibile_hostname parameter.
Weird, because as I understand it... This is an optional field.

optional only if DNS is working properly. If a DNS failure or kernel hostname lookup occurs during startup, this be seen.

 So I
added a hostname and tried to start squid again.  It hangs for a while
then says it's a no go.  I do a debug on the startup and below is the
info I get.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Nick

System specs:

FC8 i386
Squid 2.6_STABLE19
SquidGuard 1.3

Debug:

<snip>
2008/06/29 09:05:25| /var/spool/squid/swap.state: (13) Permission denied
FATAL: storeUfsDirOpenSwapLog: Failed to open swap log.

Here's a few avenues of attack that error implies:

- is the file system full or nearly full?

- are you starting squid as root and letting it do its own permissions properly?

- does the new squid have the same user/group privileges as the old one?

- do the swap.state file and associated caches have the right user/group permissions for squid?