Is it maybe possible to intercept the http:// request over port 80 with IPTABLES and redirect it to Squid?

Then let an ICAP add-on (or the internal rewriter) rewrite the URL to https://. Then let Squid do all the SSL with client certificates with the actual https-server. Last, Squid forwards the server-reply to the client (maybe also by using some IPTABLE tricks) to the client in regular un-encrypted http.

Is this possible? An if yes, then how? I can only imagine some config need to be done to get this up-and-running if possible. It would be the perfect transparent ssl-proxy for clients that are not capable of SSL (and SSL client certificates)

Greetz, Dj.

Amos Jeffries wrote:
D.Veenker wrote:
My web client is not capable of SSL and definitely no client certificates.

- Can Squid do all the SSL-work in a transparent way, including the client cerificates?

Yes.  BUT ...

- How does the config look like?

... it's the client software which must pass URLs starting with https:// to Squid to process.

squid.conf looks like normal.

- Do a need to recompile Squid with --enalble-ssl?

I don't think so.