On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Alex Rousskov wrote:

On 04/25/2011 06:14 PM, da...@lang.hm wrote:
if that regains the speed and/or scalability it would point fingers
fairly conclusively at the DNS components.

this is the only think that I can think of that should be shared between
multiple workers processing ACLs

but it is _not_ currently shared from Squid point of view.

Ok, I was assuming from the description of things that there would be
one DNS process that all the workers would be accessing. from the way
it's described in the documentation it sounds as if it's already a
separate process

I would like to fix that documentation, but I cannot find what phrase
led you to the above conclusion. The SmpScale wiki page says:

Currently, Squid workers do not share and do not synchronize other
resources or services, including:

* DNS caches (ipcache and fqdncache);

So that seems to be correct and clear. Which documentation are you
referring to?

ahh, I missed that, I was going by the description of the config options that configure and disable the DNS cache (they don't say anything about the SMP mode, but I read them to imply that the squid-internal DNS cache was a separate thread/proccess)

David Lang