On Wed, 4 May 2011 16:36:08 -0700 (PDT), da...@lang.hm wrote:
On Wed, 4 May 2011, Alex Rousskov wrote:

On 05/04/2011 12:49 PM, da...@lang.hm wrote:

<snip>
IMHO, you can maximize your chances of getting free help by isolating
the problem better. For example, perhaps you can try to reproduce it
with different kinds of fast ACLs (the simpler the better!). This will
help clarify whether the problem is specific to IPv6, IP, or ACLs in
general. Test different number of ACLs: Does the problem happen only
when there number of simple ACLs is huge? Make the problem easier to
reproduce by posting configuration files (including Polygraph workloads
or options for some other benchmarking tool you use).
-
This is not a guarantee that somebody will jump and help you, but fixing
a well-triaged issue is often much easier.

that's why I'm speaking up. I just have not known what to test.

are there other types of ACLs that I should be testing?

We can't answer that without having seen your config file and which are in use now.

The list of all available ACL are at http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl and http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/acl/

I'll setup some tests with differnet numbers of ACLs. since I've
already verified that the number of ACLs defined isn't the significant
factor, only the number tested before one succeds (by moving the ACL
that allows my access from the end of the file to the beginning of the
file, keeping everything else the same), I'll see if the slowdown
seems proportional to the number of rules, or if there is something
else going on.

any other types of testing I should do?

The above looks like a good benchmark *provided* all the ACLs have the same type with consistent content counts. Mixing types makes the result non-comparable with other tests.

If you have time (and want to), we kind of need that type of benchmarking done for each ACL type. Prioritising by popularity: src/dst by IP, port, domain and regex variants. Then proxy_auth, external (the "fake" helpers can help here). Then the others; ie browser, proto, method, header matching.

We know general fuzzy details like, for example, a port test is faster than a domain test. One with details presented up front by the client is also faster than one where a lookup is needed. But have no deeper info to say if a dstdomain test is faster or slower than a src (IP) test.

Way down my TODO list is the dream of micro-benchmarking the ACLs in their unit-tests.