On 28/12/2011 3:19 p.m., Ming Pun wrote:
Thanks for the prompt response. It is very useful. I was playing external_acl_type to understand how it works.

a couple of questions
- when a request did not pass external acl , I got a HTTP 403. How can I make it to return 401 instead?

That is automatic when the %LOGIN tag is set for the helper input format. %LOGIN pulls credentials out of HTTP authentication headers.

Alternatively the latest squid can attach a deny_info display or redirect with custom status code when the ACL test is last on an access line (ie "http_acces deny").

- how do I write an external acl program to support concurrency? I followed some example on the internet. The program basically parses stdio for input parameters, and writes out the result to stdout?

Yes. The helper protocol is documented here http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/AddonHelpers#Access_Control_.28ACL.29