2012/9/27 Jenny Lee <bodycar...@live.com>:

>> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 21:08:12 +0200
>> From: e...@g.jct.ac.il
>> To: t...@raynersw.com
>> CC: squid-users@squid-cache.org
>> Subject: Re: [squid-users] clarification of delay_initial_bucket_level

>> > I'd be interested to hear why reloading is a bad idea. Squid supports HUP
>> > reloading, I've been doing it for years and on my systems it takes about
>> > 100ms to do a reload, so even if it blocks for that amount of time it's
>> > not a big deal. Unless the reload leaks memory or something, I don't think
>> > it's a problem. I have an action item to move my servers to external ACLs,
>> > but it's been one of those "if it ain't broke" type things, so I haven't
>> > done it yet.
>> >

>> I don't think Eliezer meant reloading per se as much as my question
>> which was reloading every 5 minutes.
>> I also reload all the time when I write new configs and sometimes I
>> even end up reloading several times in one minute without my users
>> feeling it as far as I can tell (or at least they don't feel it enough
>> to start sending mail saying the Internet is broken).
>
> You can be sure that they feel it. But they are not able to complain because
> duration is short and they are not sure if the problem is arising on their
> end or elsewhere.
> Why don't you just run a cron job to reconfigure squid every minute and try
> to keep browsing?
> Bad things can and do happen when squid stops servicing connections while
> active sessions are going on. If your shutdown timeout is short, you are
> probably cutting off existing connections abruptly as well. Browsers and OSes
> behave weirdly. Once a user even had to reboot his computer to be able to get
> back online when subjected to a reconfigure.
> Squid also will surely will take more than few seconds to get back online
> even with the minimal config options (maybe tcr can explain how he came up
> with 100ms). In my config, it takes 3 seconds (with shutdown_timeout 1). When
> you are doing 500 requests per second, those couple of seconds mean you lose
> couple thousand requests, and you probably cut couple thousand in the middle.
> Moreover, it takes about 1.5 minutes for squid to get back to the speed it
> was doing before a reconfigure (probably because client machines are waiting
> for timeouts on failed requests). And I don't even do caching!
> Moral of the story is... despite Amos's efforts to make it less burdensome on
> 3.2's, frequent reconfigures must be avoided.
> Jenny
>
> PS: I do a reconfigure once an hour, but my traffic is controlled.

Jenny as far as I can tell from your mail you are running a restart
(service squid3 restart or /etc/init.d/squid3 restart) and not a
reload, reloads in my experience are very fast, they fix almost
everything and are close to unfelt by the users, I have had streams
running in a browser while I reloaded and they just continued with no
problem (but that may also be effective caching on the websites part).
Eli