On 13.12.2012 14:45, csn233 wrote:
I'm testing Squid 3.2.3 and seem to be encountering some sort of
"timeout" problem on browsers. When left idle for long periods
(hours), Firefox and IE9 seem to "lose" the connection, and can only
be resolved by restarting the browser.

The squid.conf is more or less the standard copy from the
installation, and I have not added anything that looks like a
"timeout" parameter. I've never seen this in previous versions I've
used, 2.6 and 3.1.

What might it be?

* it might be browser loosing a connection object internally
* it might be HTTP/1.1 handling issues in either browser or Squid
* it might be TCP timeouts in the network stack of any device between browser and Squid
* it might be NAT timeouts in any device between browser and Squid
* it might be ARP table timeouts on any device between browser and Squid

All of these are possibilities in 3.2 where HTTP/1.1 is use between Browser and Squid. But not in the older versions where HTTP/1.0 is used. As side-effects of HTTP 1.1 vs 1.0 keep-alive behaviour.