On 31/07/2013 2:22 a.m., Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
* Amos Jeffries <squ...@treenet.co.nz>:
On 30/07/2013 11:15 p.m., Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
I had good results replacing 3.3.8 with 3.4.0.1 - no changes to the
config were needed.

One interesting observation: The dnsreq statistics are different. With
3.3.8 the graphs for requests and replies were "identical". Plotted on
top of each other -- only one graph could be seen.

Since switching to I'm seeing MORE requests than replies. Not much,
but enough for the graphs to be seen individually. Currently I'm
seeing 10.17 requests and 8.21 replies per second.

Is this to be expected?
Yes and No.

Yes, 3.4 added mDNS support which have no particular guarantee of
getting any response. If you do not have mDNS setup the .local
requests will timeout instead, before moving on to the global
resolution methods.
So I would see *.local queries in the query log on the local caching
DNS on the machine?

I would expect to yes. At least that was the behaviour when I tested it.
 -> lookup for invalid.local in mDNS server -> timeout
 -> lookup for invalid.local in local NS server -> NXDOMAIN

No, because the above event should only show up on single-label
domain names in URL or Host: header.
Like accesssing http://www ?

Ah sorry I steered a bit wrong. Squid will not add the .local part itself. Resolv.conf or equivalent "search list" settings are still required to do that mapping part. The mDNS only steps in with a different resolver if the domain tail matches ".local".

And if you do have .local mDNS setup in the network
We don't use that in the server networks.

Okay. Then mDNS should be irrrelevant.

What does the idns cache manager report say about #QUERIES vs #REPLIES on each of your NS ?