On 31/07/2013 8:36 p.m., Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
* Amos Jeffries <squ...@treenet.co.nz>:

So I would see *.local queries in the query log on the local caching
DNS on the machine?
I would expect to yes. At least that was the behaviour when I tested it.
  -> lookup for invalid.local in mDNS server -> timeout
  -> lookup for invalid.local in local NS server -> NXDOMAIN
The Query log is not showing any of these

Ah sorry I steered a bit wrong. Squid will not add the .local part
itself. Resolv.conf or equivalent "search list" settings are still
required to do that mapping part. The mDNS only steps in with a
different resolver if the domain tail matches ".local".
OK, since we didn't configure this, it won't be queried.

What does the idns cache manager report say about #QUERIES vs
#REPLIES on each of your NS ?
"idns cache manager"? Is that a function of Squid or in my local
caching DNS?

It is one of the squid cachmgr reports called "idns".