When I do a tcpdump and take a look at the raw packets I can see that squid
does send a '407 Proxy Authentication Required’ back to the client, but then
the magic happens…
Next I see a '200 Connection established’ and some scrambled content (the page
i request is https) and the page refreshes on my ipad, so safari handled the
407 by itself without any kind of notification.

I’m going to search for a solution with sessions that can be set by an external
splash/log in screen. If someone knows a good guide/tutorial about this topic,
or other and better solutions that do not use http authentication and which a
browser cannot handle itself, I’d be happy to hear.

Wim