Brian,

So to use the authuserdb, i will need to install courier-imap?

jas

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Candler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 2:34 PM
To: simbo adeyemi
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [sqwebmail] users

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:23:05AM +0200, simbo adeyemi wrote:
> You didnt mention vpopmail.Wouldnt i need that for virtual users.

No, you wouldn't.

It's another option though. vpopmail is another database-driven
authentication system for virtual users; I believe it sits on top of mysql
(but I've not used it myself)

> And how is
> authuserdb different from the authentication type below (i got this from
the
> mailing list).
>
> authmodulelist="authvchkpw"
> in
> /usr/local/share/sqwebmail/authdaemonrc

authvchkpw authenticates against vpopmail's database of users. It's up to
you to compile and install vpopmail separately and populate it with data.

authuserdb authenticates against a simple file of users. You create it using
the 'userdb' and 'makeuserdb' utilities which are supplied with
courier-imap. See the corresponding manpages for more information.

Brian.

> Jas.

In
> > such a case i know i'll probably be considering some other form of
> > authentication.
> > Please would someone enlighten me on how this can be achieved?
>
> Type 'man authlib' for a list of options. Probably the easiest one to get
up
> and running is 'authuserdb', because it requires no external database
> software. Otherwise you can use authldap / authmysql / authpgsql depending
> on which type of database you're comfortable setting up and running.
>
> You'll also need to configure your MTA, when delivering incoming mail, to
do
> so by reference to tables or a database instead of the password file.
That's