Hi,

while SAM is right is saying that a UTF-8 enabled browser is sufficient to view a
Japanese mail in UTF-8,
the problem is that most times the mail is not read with a browser but with a standard
mail program.

Again there are mail programs which work with UTF-8. However, commonly
iso-2022jp is used for mail in Japan. Various charsets are a matter of
fact in Japan but the normal user doesn't know or understand this. If a
mail is not displayed correctly by the mailer most user will just ignore
and delete the mail.
For such reason Japanese users developed a patch to send a mail in iso-2022-jp.

>From an international perspective this may not be the best approach. I'd
for my part would like to see
        (1) a user level configuration option for the charset to be used for sending
mail
or even better
        (2) an option to select for each message the charset to be used for sending

About 3 years ago I suggested to use iconv to convert mail to various
charset but was told that not every installation has iconv. Maybe but
then I haven't seen a Japanese system without it. But  I could also
image a compile option like 'enable-charcode-selection' which if enabled
requires iconv (or another utiltiy) to convert the mail message.

That would make some people happy without having an impact for the big
majority.

Regards,

Bernd