I know I am waking up an old debate by replying to this thread. Deeply sorry :-)

Finally got around to writing up a blog post about this very thread where I
(think) I spared absolutely no one, not even myself.

My post is called "The great Kamailio security debate and some misconceptions
debunked" and can be read here:

https://www.rtcsec.com/2020/09/02-kamailio-security-debate-and-misconceptions/

The ToC:
 1. Introduction
 2. A bit of background before diving in
 3. Claim: this issue does not affect many organisations
 4. Claim: custom headers are only known to internal users
 5. Claim: if it’s an 18 year old bug, it can’t have been high risk
 6. Claim: this should have been found if people were doing proper testing
 7. Claim: infrequent advisories = project is not serious about security
 8. Claim: limited number of advisories = project is more secure
 9. Claim: if you’re serious about security, monitor the mailing lists
 10. Claim: security experts should decide what is a security vulnerability
 11. Discussion: when should the project publish an advisory?
 12. Discussion: educational security role
 13. Moving forward
Hope that it is at least interesting and perhaps even constructive!

Best wishes,

--

    Sandro Gauci, CEO at Enable Security GmbH

    Register of Companies:      AG Charlottenburg HRB 173016 B
    Company HQ:                       Pappelallee 78/79, 10437 Berlin, Germany
    PGP/Encrypted comms:     https://keybase.io/sandrogauci
    Our blog:                                https://www.rtcsec.com
    Other points of contact:      https://enablesecurity.com/#contact-us