Hi,

I'd like to put a topic up for discussion to test kamailio config logics.

The standard way of doing so is to start kamailio as usual and write sipp or sipsak scenarios to perform automated tests. This can get quite complex pretty quickly, as you always have to take care of covering the full transaction on the client side, where in most of the cases you really just want to know which IP/port kamailio would send the message to, and how some headers look like after processing. Also, it doesn't really allow to inspect your variables and avps etc. on the fly other than logging them to syslog and parsing it from there.

Let me know if this is stupid and/or a complete overkill, but what about introducing some kind of dummy mode, where you'd pipe a message into kamailio via stdin, and get the resulting message out on stdout (e.g. in ngrep style with ip information as first line, plus the content following), plus a dump of internals (e.g. vars, avps) on stderr as they're being assigned, and once the message is processed, kamailio would just shut down again?

There are quite some things to consider, like not doing any timer handling in tm, but would this be something anyone would be interesting to discuss in more detail?

If I'm completely on a wrong track, what are suggested alternatives to testing full sip call flows other than running automated UAs against kamailio?

Andreas