[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 05/31/2000 03:22:06 AM
>I don't understand this discussion. checking usernames doesn't make anything
more secure. what needed >is the integration of managed Public Key
Infrastructure software into SSH.

I disagree.  SSH will be more secure against those not knowing how to spoof
usernames and against those giving their keys away if it can limit the use of
keys only to specific users.

I understand that this may not buy much in a very insecure environment, but, it
may be enough in some environments.  The same can be said of limiting key use by
client hostname.

Looking at it from another view, will such a patch /decrease/ SSH security?  I
don't think it will, but it's possible I'm wrong.  If I am, noone has yet
pointed out how/why it would be less secure.  And, if someone does, their
arguments must not be valid for limiting key use by hostname.

I don't know much about PKI so I won't comment on it.

Noel

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.