"Noel L Yap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> OK, I've read this, but since I'm a bit of a newbie, I have a couple of
> questions:
> 1. Can the SRP authentication be used to authenticate the client to the host
> without the use of assymetric keys?  I understand that this may not be as secure
> (since passwords generally have less entropy than keys), but in some situations,
> the convenience is worth the risk.

Yes.

One way to look at SRP is to view it like a assymetric system where
the user's private key is derived from a password. But the
host-authentication part of it really uses the verifier as a shared
(symmetric) secret.

> 2. What effects would such a change have on ssh-agent and ssh-add?

You would either have to type the SRP password each time, or tell the
agent about it. Or just get the hostkey and use the traditional host-
and userauthentication mechanisms in ssh.

Note that LSH doesn't (yet) have anything like ssh-agent or ssh-add.
I'm expecting the gateway feature (once that is implemented) to be
able to replace aah-agent in many cases. See
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/lsh/doc/gateway-mode.txt for some
ideas about that.

/Niels