On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

> > > Other problem:
> > > I have a line like this:
> > > Feb 12 11:57:10 garfield sshd[25970]: Did not receive ident
> > string from
> > > 10.2.4.7.
> > > every 5 minutes in /var/log/messages. What's the cause?

Seems to me a client is trying to connect to "garfield" from that IP
address, but doesn't return a version identification string to sshd. In
other words, the client is either not interested in logging in now, or is
unable to. This could happen if routing problems or firewall configuration
prevents the client from recieving the version id string sshd sends to the
connecting client, but my guess is that someone is doing this just to make
sure the sshd is still up and running on "garfield".

>> Is "garfield" running identd (FTP://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1413.txt)?
> No, it's not running identd. But another server produces the same and it has
> identd running.

Should not matter anyway. The warning message above refers to the sshd
version id string ("SSH-1.5-OpenSSH-1.2.3" for example), not an identd
reply.. If the sshd needs to do identd lookup, it will do so by itself,
and does not need a local identd. The client might need an identd,
though..

-m-
--
Magnus H.