On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 11:25:09PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin Thor Lancelot Simon quotation:
>
> > That claim is false, unless perhaps you define a "32-bit Unix" as
> > "a Unix where sizeof(off_t) is 4".
>
> Oh, very well:
>
> Amend that to say "all Unixes that needed to implement the LFS
> extensions, which included all 32-bit Unixes I know of".  The Large File
> Summit had a rather wide range of participants, and I'd be surprised to
> hear that many have completed the transition.

There are some substantial number of Unices, then, of which you do not
know.  The lunacy of what the LFS people did is pretty frequently hashed
out in various Unix newsgroups, as is the fact that pleny of Unix vendors
managed to get off_t to 64 bits long before the "summit" occurred, which
is all that's relevant here, really.

> > The specific problem in scp is that the version of rcp that most of
> > its source code was copied from was very old and used a 32-bit printf
> > format to put the file size (which is sent as ASCII text) on the wire.
>
> As I said, there's an alternative explanation.  I'll lay pretty good
> odds that the one I posted will turn out to be what applies in the
> poster's particular case.

Look at the source code!  The printf format is just plain wrong.  It will
cause this problem no matter what sizeof(off_t) is, so long as sizeof(long)
is smaller -- and that's true on plenty of "64-bit" platforms, too, by most
people's definition of "64-bit".

Not all ILP32 platforms have 32-bit off_t.  Not all 64-bit platforms are
LP64.

Thor