You don't say what system you are using as the server.  If it is Linux or
Solaris look at PAM.  This allows you to use kerberos, ldap, etc.  I will say,
you may have to write your own pam authentication module and make sure ssh was
compiled with pam support.  Then point the pam entries for sshd to your module
that checks some place other than /etc/passwd.

Not sure what you could do on other systems that don't have pam.

        --Dave

David Knight French
Black Mountain Computer Consulting
Voice: (858)279-4862