heh heh...   that really isn't a very specific question, but now that it's been
thoroughly dissected, I think the short answer is yes.  ssh does provide functionality
for intra- and extra- nets, in the sense that you can use it to build encrypted
tunnels between secured machines...

you do have to start those tunnels explicitly but it's not hard, and you can do them
all at once with a single scripted command.  we do this a lot at my job - set up
tunnels so that when (e.g.) host A in wyoming wants to talk to host B in south dakota
on port X, it connects to a local (wyoming, maybe on th same machine maybe not) port X
(or Y, or Z) which is actually a tunnel (provided by ssh) to port X on host B...

it's not practical for a really big extranet (lots of little fish), but when there are
a manageable number of ports and nodes (a few big fish ;-), it's nice and secure and
it's very flexible.

hope that helps