Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 14:58:24 -0800
From: Clark Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boosters (was compounding and reheating, etc.)

My 1930 Locomotive Cyclopedia of American Practice has 10 or so pages
devoted to boosters.  A booster is a flat two cylinder steam engine that
is a part of a trailing truck.  It can also be a part of the leading
tender truck.  The booster steam engine is geared to the trailing truck
or tender driving wheels and is automatically engaged or disengaged by
the throttle action of the engineer.  It uses the excess steam that is
being generated in the boiler during starting and climbing long hills.
With a booster engine installed the locomotive is usually rated one
class higher in starting power.

Clark.

BTW I bought my Cyclopedia from Powell's Technical Books in Portland.
See http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/track.pl/Technical.html  It cost $80
where many are listed at $250 or so.

CBL