Vance and Listers.

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:36:01 -0700, you wrote:

>Clark,
>
>I agree that it's possible to establish an entirely new market with correct 1:32
>scale equipment.  What Bachmann did -- unintentionally, I suspect -- is to get
>the interest of Model Railroaders in smaller scales.  Many of them were
>ignoring large scale because all that was available was "toy trains", but the
>1:20.3 Bachmann stuff was too good to ignore.  You'd be amazed at the
>number of HO- or N-scalers who now also have a garden railroad because of
>the Bachmann geared locos.  They were new customers, rather than being
>stolen from the competitors.

The first company that is serious in offering an affordable 1:32 range
will own the market.  They are also guaranteed to gain a strong
foothold amongst modelers from other scales who are shying away from
Large Scale because of the inbuilt scale/gauge discrepancy in 1:29.

>It might impact AristoCraft or USA negatively to have a competitor in 1:32,
>but I predict that the totaly market would actually grow in such a case,
>because many (most?) of those who would get into it would be former HO or
>maybe O modelers who couldn't resist the BIG (for them) and beautiful
>equipment.

I believe that 1:32 will occur in parallel to 1:29 which seems to
cater more for the Toy Train enthusiast who have been brought up
expecting their models to negotiate very tight curves.

Scale modelers will want something else that is more realistic.

>It wasn't me or any of my friends here in Albuquerque who won that Powerball
>lottery last week, but when I do I'll start making 1:32 scale stuff and you guys
>can prove me right.

I would be glad to prove you right but keep whatever you decide to
make on the small side.  Otherwise 1:32 will be faced with operating
on overly large radius curves and defeat the purpose.

Best wishes,

Tony Walsham.

Remote Control Systems.
P.O. Box 1118 Bayswater,