At 11:22 AM -0800 12/8/00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>[I don't know - I haven't investigated what sslivesteam can do except
>for sending me email digests.]  Maybe it would be easier to transfer
>sslivesteam to a free web site?

Pete:

Nothing in life is free. A "free" web site is selling your eyeballs -- it's
called "page views" to advertisers. You certainly can ignore the ads, but
there's no question that you pay -- in terms of your download times -- to
get that advertising.

My standing offer is that if a list member wants a picture posted, all they
have to do is e-mail it to me directly. I may not jump on it within 90
seconds (yet again, I might), but it will then be there for all to see.

If list members prefer to post their pictures at advertising-based sites,
that is certainly their right. But before you click, realize that you may
be in for a significant download of stuff you don't want before you get to
the stuff you want.

One of the list members came up to me at a PCLS steamup a couple of months
ago and said, "So, what are you going to do commercially with the web site
(45mm.com)?" I have no current aspirations to attempt to make money with my
hobby. At the point that this stops being a hobby, I probably should be
spending my time and energy pointed toward places where real money can be
made, not the small margins that selling or advertising hobbiest products
would bring.

I'm doing this for fun, not profit. I started the sslivesteam list because
I wanted a place where I could post a question and get a friendly,
knowledgable response. I believe I have achieved that goal. And there are
no incremental costs to me for providing the resources for the list (I have
the infrastructure in place for my "real" job), so they are offered
advertising-free.

But you guys pay me everytime I read the list and learn something new.

\dmc

Dave Cole
Gen'l Sup't:  Grand Teton & Everglades Steam Excursion Co.
              Pacifica, Calif. USA <http://45mm.com/> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>