Phil,
        Thanks  for  the  feedback.  Which  coal  fired  engines
are  you  running?.
        In  my  experience
and  majority  of  UK.  GI  live  steamers,  anthracite  has   proven  to
be  the  most  effecient  coal  to  use. i.e.  very
hot,  very  clean  burning,  no  clinkers,  minimal  ash  residue  and
minimal  sulphur   to  corrode  the  firebox/boiler.  Welsh  coal  is
another  favourite  among  experienced  coal  steamers.
          Trent  Dowler  is  correct  regarding  hard  and  soft  coals.
It  is  interesting
the  web  site  your  referred  to  mentions  "low  sulphur"  content
in  many
adverts.  But  does  not  state  sulphur  is  the  long  term  death  knell
  for  boilers. I  did not  find  any  actual  data  on  the  site
comparing  coals.  (Could  you clarify  location).
       Anthracite  burns hotter  than  the  lower  grade  coals  by  15-2o%
and  thereby  burns  out  any  minimal  amount  of  sulphur  residue
before it  has  time  to  settle  onto  firebox  surfaces.
Majority  of   the  large  scale
steamers  in  CA  prefer  Welsh  coal,  because  Anthracite  is  not easily
available.  Welsh  coal  is  also  one  of  the  harder  coals.

       To  answer  Trents  other  coal  questions.  The  soft  coals  break
  very easily
and  turn  into  a  powder  almost  on  immediate  contact,  whereas  the
very  hard  coals  do
need  a  considerable  pressure  or  impact  to  break,  and  tend  to
shatter  under impact.  (use  safety  glasses  when  breaking).  Also
the  harder the coal  the  brighter  and  shinier  the  surface
texture.  Duller  (almost  matt  black)  coals  will  have  more  clinker,
(which  fuses  into unburnt  pieces  and
clogs  the  firegrate.  Also  burns  much  less  efficiently  and  is
difficult  to  start.  Because
soft  coals  burn  less  efficiently,  the  tendancy  is
to  add  more  coal  to  the  firebox,  which  in  turn  causes  more
clinker  and  takes  up  more  firebox  area.
Whereas  harder  coals  have  total  combustion  to  an  ash,  which  is
easily  cleaned  out  with  no  clinkers.
         I  understand  the  harder  coals  are  older,  and  have  been
subjected  to  higher  pressures  during
formation,  have  less  fossils  and  originally  were  forest  areas.
Softer  coals  are  younger  have  more fossils.
and  usually  from  old  lake  or  sea  areas.  i.e.  hard  mud!
         I  think  we  are  drifting  off  topic.
         Tony  D.