Hi  Walt,
         You  are  correct.  The  actual  firestarting  procedure  is  with
  kerosene  soaked  charcoal  brickets,  and  as  fire  and  temperature
picks  up  you  start  adding  keresene  soaked  coal  or  anthracite.
Spreading  thin  even  layers  over  the  fire.  By  watching  the  flame
colour  and  steam
pressure  increase,  you  gradually  add  dry  coal  or  anthracite.  With
a  good  drafting  fan,
I  can  raise  running  steam  in  about  10-15  mins.  Also  I  remove
the  draft  fan  at  25lbs  pressure  and  allow
engine  blower  to  pull  up  to  60- 80  lbs  pressure.  Above  25  lbs
pressure  the  engine  blower  is more
efficient  than  the  fan.  After  one  lap  of  track,  300' ,
I  close  blower  entirely.  The  fire
is  drafted  sufficiently  through  the  firebox  grill  underneath.  If
pressure
drops  below  20  lbs  while  on  circuit,  the  engine  blower  will
still  raise  the  steam  without  the  fan.  I  typically  run  about  4-5
  300'  lap  circuits  before  adding  more  coal .  i.e.  2-3  shovels
full.  Shovel is  approv  1" x  3'/4"
wide  x  1/8"  deep.  I  load  immediately  behind   the  firebox  door.
Then while
running  the  coal  moves  forward.  If  you  load  to  the  back  of
firebox,  you  will  block  the  firetubes  with  cold  coal.
      My  longest  running  time  has  been  1  hr  20  mins,  then  I
called  it  a  day.
Next  engine  will  be  radio  controlled.
Hope  this  answers  your  question.
        Tony  D.