I think you have to remember that water as a liquid to all intents and
purposes is not commpressible.  As the lubricator fills with water the
oil has to depart down the line as it is the only place it can go.
Water as steam is compressible and that is where the oil sneaks past.

It is also why one needs to keep the body of a displacement lubricator
as 'cool' as possible to aid the condensation process.  Finally in a
deadleg system it also helps if the pipe into the lube slopes down
slightly once inside the body.  A pal of mine and longtime Ga 1 loco
maker found out that if on the level or slight up slope the water can
prefer to run back down the pipe rather than into the lubricator.

Sam E