I was hoping to be able to compare superheated/non-superheated Rubys at DH,
but most there were unsuperheated, and seemed to run quite nicely. I do get
a great deal of condensate out of the stack, but I don't know if
superheating would have much effect on that. It's only slightly less messy
than my Roundhouse locos, both of which are superheated. I've pretty much
decided that it's not really worth the effort. Cleaning the loco isn't that
difficult, after all. (The oil gives the boiler jacket a nice sheen,
anyway.)

I did "stretch the spring" on the safety valve, which improved performance.
I thought about replacing it with a 40psi valve, but since I added Norm
Saley's retaining nut to hold the dome down, I didn't want to replace the
valve and have an extra part which would then not work with the new valve.
The quick fix is just as effective, really.

I also changed the jet to a #3. I really don't know if that made a noticable
difference in performance. I don't have any trouble maintianing steam.

Later,