From: sslivesteam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 3:01 AM
To: Multiple recipients of sslivesteam
Subject: sslivesteam-Digest - Number 419

sslivesteam-Digest       Friday, April 6, 2001      Issue 419

Today's Topics:

        1. water treatment
        2. Re: water treatment
        3. Re: New roster ...
        4. Re: water treatment

Message Number: 1
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:45:30 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: water treatment

I talked to the folks at Terlyn Industries yesterday about LSB8000. I bought

a "case" to use on The Depot's 7.5" gauge locomotives. They explained in
more
detail how the product works, and I'm enthused about it for 7.5" loco's.
However, I have some reservations about using it for Ga. 1 loco's.
    If I understood what I heard (or think I heard -- two hearing aids
indicate a deficiency here ((hear?)), the product sort of acts as a chelate
or maybe like a flocculant. In any event, if you are not able to blow down
the boiler, the LSB8000 and the bad things it gobbles up remain in your
boiler. Since we are, or should be, using distilled water, very few bad ions

should be getting in there. That of course means we believe the vendor when
they say the water is really distilled.
    The one thing that disturbs me about distilled water is it's naturally
low pH reading. Low pH means it is highly acidic. Many of the impurities in
Cu sheet metal could be dissolved more readily in an acid environment.
Should
we be trying to adjust the pH of the water?
This is just "Drink for thought," since water really isn't food is it?
Keep your steam up!
Walt Swartz

Message Number: 2