> Second, I had a valve rod come loose while I was running her at a local
> model train show this past weekend. I got it reattached OK and managed
> to get it timed to where the engine will run, but it's still not quite
> square. The instructions that came with the engine don't cover valve
> timing, just reverse adjustment. What's the proceedure for resetting the
> valves?

The designer of the Ruby's running gear says:

"This is done the same way the reversing valve is set.  You move the wheels
so the rods are at top center (either side).  Then adjust the valve so the
adjustment groove is just touching the valve block.  Then tighten the set screw
and it should be just fine."

regards,
  -vance-

Vance Bass