> I don't like the straight through exhaust solution because of all the
> oil that will be ejected on to the finish of the engine.  However the
> restricted flow idea has merit.

I have C-16 #42 serial 086, and (fortunately) the older style engines don't have front
brakes, so there's no transfer of the oil to the railheads, and I won't have Clark
chasing me with cutters if I ever get to his place!

After a run, the cylinders and pilot truck are covered in steam oil, as is the boiler.
 These engines definitely spit it out.  However, I'm told the small tube/blastpipe in
the smokebox is the resonater for the "chuff", so removing it may have other
consequences.

I like the idea of restricting the oil flow - but it is difficult to know 'how much is
enough'.  Maybe someone who knows what he is doing could experiment and give us some
ideas?

  Pete