Hi All,
The stuff you are talking about is made from Alumina and is used as insulation on high
temperature piping and
vessels.  It is the replacement for the dreaded asbestos block or bricks, and sheets.
It is available in a host of forms.
Sheets being the best for making wicks.  Search for "insulation".  The stuff is not
what everybody in the industry thinks
of as fire brick.

 Lurk mode ON

        Rich