2002 Shay Days Steam-up Information

The Harbor Springs (Michigan) Area Historical Society has authorized a second
annual steam up to be held in conjunction with the 2002 "Shay Days" on July 19,
20, and 21, 2002.  Portable gauge #1 layouts will be set-up outside and the
essentials for steaming will be provided (except for fuel).  You will be able to
say you operated your live steam locomotive on the site of the Shay machine
shop, where Ephraim built and maintained three locomotives for the Hemlock
Central Railroad just across the street from his home.  Limited to all geared
locomotives but particularly Shay locomotives!

        For those of you wishing to participate in the steam up for the weekend
please contact Bruce Gathman at: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 231-526-0174, for
further information about Shay Days and Harbor Springs and help making
arrangements for your accommodations.  Yes we know it is a long way off the
beaten path to come to Harbor Springs but the HSAHS board members feel they
would like to show their appreciation, for your attending and steaming and to
help make their show a success, by opening their homes to you during the three
day event-limited availability.  Local commercial accommodations are limited
this time of year so plan ahead.  There isn't a better place to visit either.
Mackinac Island is only 25 miles away!  Ice Cream and Fudge abound and we have
some of the greatest eating establishments to try while you're here.  Call the
Chamber of Commerce if you don't believe me!

        And if you can't bring a live steam Shay locomotive or some other live
steam geared locomotive to operate just plan on coming to enjoy the area
history, the displays, and the excellent programs on Ephraim Shay.

Doing Research on Ephraim Shay; the Man, His Inventions, and His Railroad!

    Bruce G.Gathman
    6200 State Road
Harbor Springs, Michigan
      231.526.0174