Actually, you'd use it in addition to a second safety valve.

Also, the rivit would be soft-soldered into the body of an IC glo-plug
that had been hollowed out.  This would be screwed into a bushing
hard-soldered into the crown sheet.  I imagine you'd place it slightly
over to the side so that it's top was even with the top of the crown sheet
to prevent premature loss of cooling in our reduced height boilers.

It would be loose-ish fitting though.  ;]

Trot, the non-trained, fox...

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Sam Evans wrote:

> My reading of Trot's comment is that a rivet soft soldered into a crown
> could be a substitite for a fusible plug. I think either the rivet would
> have to be very loose in the hole or be of sufficient diameter for the
> boiler pressure to blow it out.  A tightish fitting 1/16" rivet soft
> soldered into a crown would not offer much of a cross sectional area for
> the steam to act on?  It is not a proven method and I would be most
> reluctant to use it.  A second safety valve would be more certain as I
> said earlier IMHO.
>
> Sam E

 /\_/\        TrotFox        \ Always remember,
( o o )  AKA Landon Solomon   \ "There is a