Helo Live Steamers,

Just joined the group and thought I would say hi...and a question...

I model in 16mm on 32mm gauge with live steam... The railroad is a short
line that services a small town from a pier terminus some where on the
Pacific Coast of British Columbia. The name of the railroad is the "Gritty
Oyster Railroad"  ...or GOR for short....we mine oysters...

Most of the steamers are powered with geared wobblers and take a fair time
to travel the 50 yards of main line. All my rail is .197 steel rail hand
spiked to wood ties...and in our westcoast climate rusts very
effectively...and I like it!

A friend here in Victoria recently purchased a PPS Mock DeWinton steamer and
he has asked me to ask if any one in this group have had any first hand
knowledge running this engine...it uses a cheddar boila' and IP engineering
cylinders I believe. The problem he is having is to get the beast to pull a
string of tippers at a speed that would be appropriate for this type of
loco.

It seems to be fairly well broken it and I have tried exhaust resriction
without to much success...it will pull an incredable amount of stock at a
good clip but at a slow pace it looses heart at the most gentle of
grades...my converted Mamod can plod about a lot slower. The engineering of
the loco is well thought out except for the displacement luber that is
between the boila' and steam shut off and pulls any oil back into the boila'
without much provication when the fire goes out...he has to clean out the
oil buildup in the boila daily...ugh! We are going to sort that out but does
anyone have such a beast and have you found it to be a nice slow runner?
...the slowest it will do is a scale 35mph... or go ballistic like a runaway
mamod ...we would like it to get down to a scale 10/15mph and still have
some pulling power...we have tried working with less fire less pressure and
more throttle but that makes things worse. He most fustrated with the
model...any help to sort this one out would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to be so long winded... Tony on Vancouver Island BC Canada.