Aw, shucks, Tony. My locos are hardly pristine and surely candidates for a
bath.

I was about to recommend using something like "409" or "Murphy's Oil Soap",
and then it occurred to me that the desired cleaner needs to be compatible
with the lubricants in the loco's bearings and seals. What we don't want is
a solvent or cleaner that leaches the lubricants out of the o-rings,
gaskets, and bearings, and possibly leaves its own residue behind.

Also we want it to evaporate fairly quickly without leaving a residue and
not require a separate rinse. It sounds like a mixture of turpentine and
light oil, or kerosene and light oil, would serve as a generic WD-40,
although kerosene is a little slow to evaporate.

Steve