Hi Steve,
     I agree about using Kerosene for cleaning and degreasing everything
including its characteristics of drying out bearing lubricants and seals.
     In my apprenticeship days, I recall washing the "outside" of needle
and roller bearings to clean off the heavy shipping and storage greases
prior to assembly.
     But you did not soak the bearings in a bath of Kerosene, as you also
removed the actual internal lubricant grease very quickly. i.e. bone dry
bearing, which was a definate no-no.
All the Kerosene cleaned dry surfaces would start to rust very quickly.
Therefore an absolute neccessity to immediately give them a light recoat
with lube oil afterwards, prior to use.
     Tony D.

      PS. I guess I will be heading to Aaron Brothers for some "Turps".