Re lagging,  I note that the Aster KGV kit had no insulation around the
boiler--just an air gap. The burners and smoke box had insulation, of
course. The Flying Scotsman doesn't either, yet both locos  seem to run
just as well as those with insulation (ceramic sheet or asbestos) . The
boiler jacket is strong enough to withstand normal handling. I believe a
lot depends on the type of boiler too.

Art, I haven't noted any shards in my leathery fingers from ceramic
sheet--at least it was described as "ceramic" sheet--it wasn't asbestos.
Don't the shards come from fibre glass material?

Geoff

I can't give the web-site reference, but boiler lagging tests by Chuck