Hello Group,
With all the discussions of different lathes used by model engineers, I
am surprised that Atlas/Clausing has not come up.  I love them.  They
have flat ways like a Myford, are plenty rigid, and can be had at
bargain prices.  Most important to me is that they are American made,
and nearly all parts are still available through Clausing.

In recent years, I have become somewhat of a lathe 'collector'.... I
have no fewer than five right now!... All of them made by Atlas:

1 Atlas/Craftsman 618 6" x 18"
2 Atlas QC54 10" x 36"
1 Atlas TH48 10" x 30" turret lathe
1 Atlas/Clausing Industrial 4804 13" x 40"

I will be selling the 6 x 18 and one of the QC54s... I think three
lathes is plenty!

All are excellent machines.  The 6 x 18 is small... bigger than a
Sherline but smaller than a Grizzly 9 x 20.  The Clausing Industrial 13
x 40 is large and heavy... about the same as a big South Bend
(unfortunately parts are rare for it though).  The 10-inchers are my
favorites because they are common (made from about 1933 to about 1970)
and parts are really cheap.

Search on eBay for 'atlas lathe' and you are sure to come up with lots
of machines.  Look at completed auctions to check the going rates (or
ask me!) before bidding.

Just more food for thought...

Regards,
-Jon