At 08:18 AM 10/4/02 -0400, you wrote:
>What range of prices should I be looking for an Atlas/Craftsman 6 x 18 ?
>Can I assume parts are readily available because it is a "Craftsman"?
>Thanks
>Michael

          I'm like Jon, I've owned many lathes, restored a few, several
Atlas's, two 618's among them.  The current average going rate for a 618 is
between $350 and $850, depending of course upon condition and included
tooling.  I have seen a 618 sell for $1250 but this was a new machine which
came with every available factory accessory for the price.  One of you
might get lucky and find a forgotten machine in a garage or basement for
$100, it does happen.  One thing to remember when considering a used
machine is tooling (chucks, etc).  New tooling is expensive, relative to
the price of the basic machine, so the more you can get for the price the
better off you are.  If you encounter someone with a lathe for sale alone,
but who has the tooling and is selling that seperately, simply walk away.
          Although the cast iron components will probably not be available
again, the Clausing Corporation, after years of indifferent service and
allowing the Atlas parts stock to be depleted hoping it would die off,
finally realized there were 1000's of these machines still in daily use and
more being rescued and restored to operating condition by people like you
and I, and money to be made, so parts are now and will be available.  It
wouldn't surprise me if someday beds will again be available.
          Another thing to be watchful of is that Sears sold two different
6" lathes, the Atlas-built one, which is what we are talking about here
(Sears #101.21200), and one made for them by AA Tool called the Craftsman
80 (Sears #109.21270).  The AA machines had V-bedways but were in every
other way poorly designed and made and not worth having.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville, Tn